google-site-verification: google271790eb1ab556b7.html

Report a non-emergency problem to the city-parish

Citizens Service: Call 3-1-1

3-1-1 Call Center is a one stop shop for all city-parish governmental information, to report problems or gather information related to city-parish agencies. These include:

  • sewer maintenance or drainage
  • cleaning, maintenance, or rehabilitation of streets or roads
  • waste management including trash and debris
  • traffic engineering
  • inspections
  • litter
  • mosquito or rodent control
  • blighted or abandoned houses in the neighborhood
  • fire hazards

You can also submit requests for services on-line.

Calls are logged and then routed to the appropriate city-parish department or agency for quick and accurate service.

If you have problems using the 311 number, call 389-3090.

The 311 Call Center is open 5 days a week from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

For all emergency requests and all requests after normal work hours, contact Public Works Dispatch at (225) 389-4603 from 4:30 pm–11 pm.

Baton Rouge FAQ

ASK BATON ROUGE: Call 344-INFO or 344-4636 from a touch-tone phone for answers to the most frequently asked question about government issues.

Online tax payment

Police Q & A

Answers to common questions from the Baton Rouge Police Department, including:

Trash, rodent, mosquito Q & A

Trash pickup: (Call 311 for all garbage, trash and recycling related complaints and service issues.)

Rodent and mosquito control

Streets and street lighting Q & A

Street signs or signals (including stolen, damaged, non-reflective, or misspelled signs or to request new signs or signals): Call the Citizen Service Office at 3-1-1 or (225)389-3090 or submit online at the Citizens Request for Service page.

Citizen Service will forward your request to Traffic Engineering in the Department of Public Works which is responsible for all traffic control devices. (When new signs or traffic signals are requested, the Traffic Engineering Division will conduct a feasibility study, usually concluded in 45-60 days.)

Typical City-Parish requests are cutting or maintenance of ditches, canals, creeks, storm drains, culvert, catch basins, sinkholes (drainage related), potholes, bridges, sidewalks (repaired only if damaged by city parish work/workers), shoulders, curbs, trees on city property, concrete repairs, drainage servitudes, blind corners (on city parish property), city lots, neutrals grounds, and right-of-ways.  

Street lights: Call Entergy at 1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) or use this form.

Entergy FAQ

Downed lines: Call Entergy at 1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749), and call your local police station or fire department. Do not touch a downed line.

Power outages: Call Entergy at 1-800-968-8243 (1-800-9OUTAGE)

Tree trimming around power lines: Call Entergy at 1-800-ENTERGY

Baton Rouge Water Phone: (225)925-2011

Trees and Yard Q & A

Q: My neighbor has a tree which threatens my property. What may I do about it?

A: In most cases, you cannot force a neighbor to remove a threatening tree. However, if your property is damaged by a neighbor's tree, you have the right to seek damages. In cases involving trees on neighbors' properties, it is advisable to consult with your attorney.

Q: The tree company I hired to remove a dead tree from my yard says that it's O.K. to pile the debris at the curb and that the City-Parish will pick it up. Is this correct?

A: No. City-Parish ordinances require that all tree debris removed by private tree companies be removed by that company at the owner's expense.

Q: There is a tree on the right-of-way in front of my property that looks dangerous. How do I get it taken care of?

A: Suspected problem trees may be reported to the Citizens Service office at 3-1-1 or (225)389-3090. They will record the necessary information and your complaint will be forwarded to the proper agency for action.

Zoning Violations

Please go to our Zoning page for more information.

If you have a question about or a solution for a problem that's not currently on this page, please contact us.

Thanks to Louis Castaing for this compilation of useful answers.